What's On

Friday, July 21, 2017

Flyleaf song facts


Downtown Temple

THIS CLOSE by FLYLEAF

Artist Direct asked lead singer Lacey Mosley about the story behind this song. She replied: "I love 'This Close' the more that I listen to it. It's fitting because I'm going through a completely new season in my life where I don't know who I am anymore [Laughs]. A lot of things that I held on to and had convictions about are shifting. I realized I've been judgmental in certain areas and I have to soften up about them. It's not that the convictions are changing, but the striving to control is changing [Laughs]. I'm not going to try to control the circumstances around me like I felt I needed to before. It's a really relieving feeling to know that God's in control and we're not. Sometimes it means our hands are off. You make decisions that you think with all of your heart are right, move forward and then you find out that they're wrong in the end. That will really shake your sense of your own identity. You have to clean up a bunch of mess, deal with the aftermath, give it all to God and say, 'Please heal my heart and teach me the difference between right and wrong.' That's where we get tripped up the most—really believing in a heart that can be deceptive sometimes. If you've ever had your heart broken, your heart will sometimes deceive you and make you blind and foolish. In the end, you have to be honest and say, 'I don't know who I am anymore.' Admitting you don't know anything is the closest you'll ever get to being real [Laughs]."

THERE FOR YOU by FLYLEAF

This song is about messing up a friendship with someone you care about, and then telling that person you're sorry and you want to be there for them from now on.

Lead singer Lacey Mosley has introduced this song in concert by saying: "When I sing this song, I sing it to Jesus."

RED SAM by FLYLEAF

The title comes from the names of band members JaRED Hartmann and SAMeer Bhattacharya.

In a TVU spot, lead singer Lacey Mosley said: "It's kinda personal, some of the stuff about it. But its really just about how I got saved. I guess when I was 16, before that I was atheist, and then I had all these things. Like I was really just kinda studying to figure out what the truth was, I guess. Then my grandpa was really, well he was having a heart attack at that time, like his 12th heart attack that he had. So I was really upset, and it was like right about that time when I guess God brought me to a place where I didn't have anything or anybody and it was the only way that I was ever going to look up and see that the only thing constant and the only thing I could depend on was God. And that's when all these supernatural things happened, and He like showed me that He was real and that He really loved me and that He wanted to do something different with my life and that's why I was alive. And so that's when I got saved."

SORROW by FLYLEAF

Lead singer Lacey Mosley from an interview with Christian Music Planet: "One of the ones I think is important to play is 'Sorrow.' That's because in our day and age, there is such a huge number of people who deal with depression, or know someone who deals with depression. In the Bible, it says, 'Jesus was a man of sorrow.' On the secular side, there are people who deal with depression because they feel empty. On the Christian side, there are people who deal with depression because they feel alone with their Christianity or because they mess up. That's the spirit we're combating when we play it. The promise in the end is, 'Joy will come.'"

ARISE by FLYLEAF

Lead singer Lacey Mosley has this to say in an interview with New Release Tuesday: "There's a song on the album, called 'Arise,' which sums up the message we want people to walk away with. We want them to come away feeling empowered to arise and be all that they were meant to be, so that they can ultimately fulfill their purpose. The lyrics say, 'Arise and be all that you dream,' but I believe most people have a purpose for their lives that far exceeds any dream they could ever have. Even on our self-titled record it says that our lives should exceed all that we can dream, and that's how I feel when I'm singing 'Arise.' I believe there's a purpose for your life that only you were meant to fulfill. So our prayer, for anyone who listens to the message on the record, is that they would fulfill their purpose and answer the highest calling for their lives."

No comments: