The following is a review of a list that was compiled way back in March of 2012. "2012 Outlooks" are based on a summation of scouting reports (entering the 2012 MLB season) of each player condensed into a sentence or two for easier reading.
50. Jake Marisnick--OF--Miami Marlins
- 2012 Outlook: "Long-term, but can hit for power/average and is fast."
- 2012 Accomplishments: #2 Prospect for Toronto Blue Jays as well as Best OF Arm and Best Outfielder in their farm system; #11 and #9 Best Prospect in Florida State and Eastern Leagues, respectively.
- Conclusion: Marisnick was traded to Miami in the trade that brought Jose Reyes, Emilio Bonifacio, Mark Buehrle, and John Buck to Toronto. Marisnick posted decent stats in Hi-A Ball (.263/.349/.451/.800), but struggled in Double-A, posting Slash Lines of .233/.286/.336/.622). He did manage to steal 24 bases in 2012 proving that he is fast on the basepaths. However, Marisnick will have to have a better season in Double-A before the Marlins even think about calling him up to the Big Club.
49. Gerrit Cole--SP--Pittsburgh Pirates
- 2012 Outlook: "Looked sharp in  Arizona Fall League. Might make the Big Leagues by late 2012."
- 2012 Accomplishments: #2 Prospect and Best Fastball in Florida State League; #3 Best Prospect in Eastern League.
- Conclusion: If there was any more wonder as to why the Diamondbacks traded away prize prospect Trevor Bauer, Cole might have known something about Bauer that others might not have as both were teammates at UCLA and both were high draft picks in 2011. Should be interesting to see how both pitchers' careers will continue to connect with each other. Sort of similar to the 2012 NFL QB Class of Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson, etc. The Pirates are taking their time with Cole, but Cole is accelerating rapidly beginning his first year of Professional Baseball in High-A Ball and made one start in Triple-A in 2012. Last year, Cole posted dominant stats, but a BB/9 of 3.1 is a slight alarm.
48. Matt Dominguez--3B--Houston Astros
- 2012 Outlook: "Ready to play in the Majors, but bat is suspect."
- 2012 Accomplishments: Best Defensive 3B in Pacific Coast League
- Conclusion: Dominguez came to the Astros via Miami in a trade that sent Carlos Lee to the Marlins in July. Dominguez actually was called up to Houston in September, but instead of battling pitchers, he was battling a sore wrist and a stomach ailment that sidelined him throughout the month. Dominguez had shown decent discipline in Triple-A, although power numbers were lacking. In the Majors, however, he did hit .284 with a SLG% of .477, but his BB:K of .24 and on-base% of .310 did not fully display the discipline he had showcased in the Minors. His glove has always been his ticket to the Majors and the Astros are content with giving him a shot at the hot corner this season. Needless to say, he needs to start finding a way to put the bat on the ball.
47. James Darnell--3B--San Diego Padres
- 2012 Outlook: "High average hitter with 20+ homerun power potential."
- 2012 Accomplishments: N/A
- Conclusion: Darnell spent most of his 2012 season on the DL with a left shoulder injury. Darnell had all ready proven that, despite power still in development, he can post a high contact rate and an even more impressive OBP%. The good news for Darnell in 25 games with the Padres, thus far, he has been able to display strong plate discipline. The smart money is to bet on Darnell to start 2013 in Triple-A, but has an outside chance of winning a bench role with the Padres. Either way, it's worth keeping an eye on Darnell throughout the upcoming season.
46. Trayvon Robinson--OF--Baltimore Orioles
- 2012 Outlook: "Had a great spring training session (2012), but will be sent to the Minors. Might come up later in '12."
- 2012 Accomplishments: N/A
- Conclusion: Robinson was traded to the Baltimore Orioles for Robert Andino in the fall. Robinson had a tough time in the Majors last season and was all ready struggling in Triple-A Tacoma with lack of plate discipline, power, and on-base%. He might be able to compete for a 4th OF spot for the Orioles, but it's highly doubtful.